Thursday, June 2, 2011

It Is Well With My Soul


I know, I know! If you're reading this blog the last thing you want from me is a history lesson. But, I believe you'll find this true story, captivating to say the least. I've heard it several times here and there, and I've yet to find another story so moving. I've even gone as far as framing the Lyrics to this song to hang on my bedroom wall. After hearing the history behind it, I've fallen in love with every word, I hope you will too!

H.G. Spafford, or Horatio Spafford, a dear friend of D.L. Moody, experienced several emotional events that led up to the song he penned as 'It is Well With My Soul'. First his son was taken by scarlet fever, and only a year later their family witnessed devastation by the great Chicago fire. Aware of the burdens his family were bearing during the early 1870's, him, his wife, and daughters would take a holiday trip to England, and they would join D.L. Moody and his evangelistic campaigns that was spreading throughout Britain. When they were about to board the 'Ville de Havre', Spafford was called away on business and told his wife and girls he would meet with them in England at a later date. Only nine days later Spafford received a telegram from his beloved wife with only these words:"Saved alone."

It just so happens that a few days earlier their ship had collided with another, sinking in 12 minutes with very few survivors...One of which was Anna Spafford. When Mrs. Spafford had regained consciousness she remembered these words that had once been spoken to her: "It's easy to be grateful and good when you have so much, but take care that you are not a fair-weather friend to God."

Horatio quickly boarded a ship and made his way across the Atlantic to meet his wife. At one point the captain of the ship had told Spafford, that they were crossing the water which now held four of his daughters along with the wrecked ship. Spafford returned to his cabin and recalled II Kings 4:26, where the Shunnamite woman loses her only child. Yet she responds with 'It is well'. Spafford does the same, as he begins to write the opening lines of this song.

Philip P. Bliss was a music composer and was so taken back by the story of the Spafford family, and the lyrics, that he decided to compose the music for 'It Is Well With My Soul.' After the music was composed, Bliss and his wife boarded a train, that would lead them to their death. In the midst of the train wreck and fire lay Philip's wife, although she told him to leave her, he stayed at her side until the flames consumed them both. But, they glorified the Lord, by singing these words...


When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


Later, the cart that held Bliss's trunk arrived in Chicago. Inside they found the last song that he had written before his death. The page read: "I know not what awaits me. God kindly veils my eyes..."


It is inspiring to see the way these men and women led their lives, or better yet, let God lead their lives. They were truly devoted to their savior. Though their tragic ends may be difficult to understand, they still claimed the peace of God, that many people do not know. Refer back to the fourth stanza.


For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


In death, just as in life, the Lord reveals HIS peace to us. To think, what it would be like to be so engulfed in the love of God, that no matter what hard times overwhelm us, we can still have the strength to say 'It is well with my soul'.

No comments:

Post a Comment